Grilled Stuffed Vegetable Flank Steak Roulades
- 1 2 pound flank steak, butterflied
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces portobello mushroom, rinsed and chopped
- 3-4 mini sweet bell pepper, assorted colors, finely sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
- ¼ pound fresh spinach, rinsed, stems trimmed
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- FLANK STEAK SEASONING Paprika, granulated garlic powder, dried oregano, dried ground thyme, kosher salt, fresh ground peppercorn, & cayanne pepper, all to taste.
- Phase 4 ONLY: 8-10 slices of bacon, 1 cup blue cheese, 3/4 cup of pine nuts
Preheat oven to 400○F.
Phase 4 Only: Lay pine nuts in single layer over lined baking sheet & roast until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven. Set aside. Meanwhile, in sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon. Remove bacon & set aside over paper towel.
Sauté onion & garlic in Olive oil & garlic just fragrant, 3-5 min. Then toss in mushroom & peppers, cooking for additional 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat when mushrooms tender. Set aside.
Butterfly steak & fold open like a book, then cover with double layer of plastic wrap & pound with mallet to even surface. Brush with olive oil & massage in liberal amount of Flank Steak Seasoning (see recipe above).
Phase 4 Only: Over steak, lay bacon strips. Then layer spinach, sautéd, onion, mushroom & peppers, blue cheese & roasted pine nuts.
Roll the steak tightly, wrap with kitchen string in 2-inch intervals , brush exterior with olive oil & season additionally, to taste. Preheat cast iron grill pan over burner on medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. Lay steak roll over grill pan, cover & sear, turning ¼ turn every 2-3 minutes, basting intermittently.
Place pan in oven, uncover, continue to baste, roast for 10-12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 145○F. Remove from oven, place upon cutting board to rest for 3-5 minutes. Slice across the grain, season additionally to taste & serve.